Wednesday 7 December 2011

Belgo

50 Earlham Street, Convent Garden, London WC2H 9LJ

Belgo is a Belgium restaurant famous for its mussels, chips and vast array of Belgium fruit beer. My friend decided to have his celebratory Birthday lunch here on a Saturday afternoon. Everyday Belgo's does an 'express lunch menu' which includes a main with chips and a drink, all for £7.95. This is what most of us ordered. Unfortunately, the drinks in this express lunch menu doesn't include the Belgium fruit beer (but it does include an original Belgium beer).

My friends ordered the traditional bowl of mussels from the lunch menu. As I had previously been here before, I wanted to try something other than the mussels. The mussels were nice with a hint of garlic. The mussels themselves weren't large but not small either. So can't really complain for £8.

Bowl of traditionalle mussels


Fries or 'frites'

Instead of mussels I decided to go for the chilli split roasted chicken. It sounds more exotic than it actually is, but it was filling (I mean, half a chicken.. with chips on the side!). The chicken wasn't actually spicy, at all! Which was the most disappointing part. The sauce reminded me somewhat of a chinese sweet chilli sauce.The chicken itself was roasted well, the meat was easy to tear off. The sauce wasn't exactly as I expected, as I'm not particularly keen on sweet sauces all over my savoury food, so overall I was disappointed but overall it was ok.

Split roasted chicken with chilli and ginger sauce
The restaurant was quite busy, and the service was quite quick. This is quite a good place to go for large groups as they have long interconnected tables (kinda like Wagamama's). I wouldn't say this restaurant is particularly special, but its satisfactory. They have a large collection of fruit beers which is something to look forward to.

Food: 6/10
Atmosphere: 6.5/10
Service: 7/10
Recommend? yep, I suppose why not, if you've never been

Belgo Centraal on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment